Monday, August 22, 2011

Journey into online scenarios - Part 2

Ok so here's the second video. It shows you how to take your wonderful linked up powerpoints and turn it into an online module:

Now, just like Spiderman's uncle said (kidding!) "with great power comes great responsibility". You need to use these modules to create great learning experiences.  The version I've used in the demonstration videos is pretty basic and doesn't do this well but here's some of the key aspects:

  1. Don't just use the powerpoint headings and bulletpoints - zzzzz!
  2. Create a story that is quirky, interesting, or will appeal to your audience
  3. The story has to create the need for the learning. It should illustrate why your learner is going to bother to do the activity"give them a burning for learning" (sorry, I couldn't help myself).
  4. Spend some time thinking about the look and useability. Often, university lecturers outside of design or the creative industries forget how important this is. I'm just as guilty as anyone, but I'm trying to get better.

Hopefully, what you end up with is engaging for the learner, works well to develop the learner towards the intended learning outcomes, and adds a bit of spark to your units.

Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment